For many years CABL has been an active supporter of higher education in our state. It is one of the critical elements in building a prosperous future for all of our citizens. This is particularly true since Louisiana has among the lowest education attainment rates in the country after high school.
Unfortunately, budget cuts over much of the last decade have taken a toll on all of postsecondary education including our workforce development efforts. CABL has worked to advocate for policies to strengthen higher education across the board and enhance its ability to be an important driver in our state’s economy and quality of life.
Our core values around higher education include:
- Improving access to higher education and workforce training with the understanding that all our citizens need to enhance their education and skills after high school to secure a productive future in the workforce.
- Increased autonomy and flexibility for postsecondary institutions to allow them to manage their enterprises more efficiently and effectively.
- Performance as a component of funding to ensure that the missions and work of our institutions are aligned to state needs and priorities.
- A sustainable policy for TOPS coupled with appropriate support for needs-based financial aid to ensure that all citizens have the opportunity to earn the credential they need to build a successful career.
- Support of a strong community and technical college system that is focused on meeting workforce needs and allows students to seamlessly transfer and access other opportunities in postsecondary education.
- Higher admissions standards at four-year institutions to sharpen their focus on mission, improve graduation rates and gain funding efficiencies.
- Elimination of unnecessary duplication among institutions considering both regional and statewide needs.
- Creating centers of excellence within our schools as a way of improving quality and increasing efficiencies based state and regional priorities.
- Support of a flagship institution that is nationally competitive within the ranks of the top tier of research universities, as well as support of the research missions of other state research institutions.
- An “innovation agenda” fueled by higher education with a strong focus on research, entrepreneurship, and commercialization of intellectual property that is aligned with economic development goals.